Eye care is one of those things we don’t think about until we have a symptom. Very seldom people without vision problems think on how to prevent future issues or how to maintain their problem free state. Most times, when a symptom appears we have reached the treatment state and our chance to prevent the issue has passed.
Here are some things you can do to maintain a healthy vision and take good care of your eyes:
1. Visit your optometrist on regular basis
Getting a comprehensive eye exam is important and everyone should go through a dilated exam every two years. Visiting an optometrist is fairly painless and convenient for most people, so please don’t delay booking that appointment.
2. Understand your daily habits that impact your vision
A lot of the things we do in a day have an impact on our vision. Things such as smoking, prolonged computer work without breaks, not wearing sunglasses, and lack of fruits and veggies in your diet can impact your eye health. Here are some pro-active habits you can develop to maintain good eye care.
- Avoid smoking.
- Eat your daily recommended dose of fruits and vegetables.
- Wear your glasses. I know this is an obvious one but you would be surprised at the number of people that forget to put their glasses on until they actually feel the need.
- Wear sunglasses when you are out in the sun. If you already have a prescription, make sure that you get prescription sunglasses and not use of the rack cheap sunglasses.
- Introduce a good amount of omega-3 fatty acids.
- A well-balanced diet also helps prevent diabetes which can cause vision problems.
- If your job involves working on a computer for a pro-longed period of time, take a break every hour and purchase a film covering for your screen that is easy on the eyes.
- Give your eye rest – take 5-10 mins during the day try to close your eyes. Take a break for your routine and try to relax your mind and body. Meditation is a great way to take care of eyes amongst other benefits.
3. Wear protective eye-wear
If you work in an environment where you are exposed to moving objects, dust or other particles that can damage your eyes, ensure that you have protective eye-wear on. Even if you don’t work in an environment that is hazardous, understand that it any environment where some sort of construction work is performed can potentially pose risks. Painting your home, renovating your basement or doing any sort of small-scale renovations at your house can create a hazardous environment for your eyes, so it is important to be conscious of that and get protective eye-wear.
Eyeconcept in Oakville offers eye care services such as eye exams, children eye exams & contact lens. Eyeconcept will also help you protect your vision and to put your best look forward with our designer frames and sunglasses.
Book your eye exam with our optometrist at Eyeconcept Oakville and visit us in store to find the perfect pair of prescription glasses or sunglasses.